Although it is necessary to recognize that lately Apple is doing a good job with its maps, we also have to recognize that it still has some lacks. We can use Apple maps to tell us by voice what to do point by point, in a similar way, saving distances, which is available in other GPS applications such as TomTom or Sygic. The problem is that to be able to consult the Apple maps we have to be connected to the Internet. This is something that is not always necessary with your maximum rival: Google Maps. Do you know how use google maps offline on iPhone?
The comparisons are odious, but if we use Google Maps we will not have to be connected to the Internet. The maps of the now part company of Alphabet can be downloaded, so we can take a long trip or move through a city that we do not know without spending a single mega of our data plan using Google Maps offline or offline. I hope that Apple includes this possibility in the not too distant future but, while I wait, I can always do it with Google maps.
How to use Google Maps offline
For use Google Maps offline We have to download the maps to our iPhone, something very easy but there are three different ways to do it. One will allow us to download any town or city, while the other two will allow us to download larger areas. If what you want is to download an entire town or city, you have to do the following:
- In the search box, we search for the desired town or city.
- From the results it offers, we choose the one that corresponds to our search by touching on its name.
- This will take us to a general image of the town or city. We have to touch on the lower white bar. The menu will rise.
- The first thing we will see next will be the name of the area followed by three options: Save, Share and, the one that interests us, Download. We tap on Download. We will see a general image of the area, the weight of the download and the space available on our device.
- We touch again in Download.
- We put a name to the area, if we wish. I usually leave the default name which is the name of the town or city.
- We touch on save, we wait and, when the download is finished, we will have it. From now on, when we move through the downloaded area we will not consume Internet data.
The second method is also very simple and will allow us to download larger areas. We will do it as follows:
- The first thing we have to do is, with the gesture of enlarging or reducing with two fingers, select the area we want to download.
- Once we have the entire area on the screen, we touch on the three lines of the options.
- Next, we touch on “Zones without connection”.
- On the next screen, we touch on the sum symbol. We will see an image similar to that of step 5 of the previous method. The following steps are the same.
- We put a name to the area.
- We touch on save and wait for the download to finish.