While the PS4 is the best selling console of this generation, it does not fail to have its flaws, and any PlayStation player who reads this will already know what we mean. That's right, the big problem that players share is their low download speed on the PS4, regardless of the connection you have to the Internet.
We explain below why the PS4 is behind other platforms in terms of download speeds and how it is possible to speed up your PS4 downloads by using a proxy. Do not worry if the term sounds like Chinese, since it is not as complicated as it seems.
Why are PS4 downloads so slow?
The question we ask ourselves is, why are PS4 download speeds so slow? It seems that no matter how fast the bandwidth you have contracted with your operator, since PS4 downloads are much slower than those of Xbox One and PC.
Although some players can download games on PC in just over 20 minutes, it is not irregular that the same game, on the same network, takes hours for hours when it comes to downloading it for PS4.
Over the years, many tips have appeared on the web to speed up PS4 downloads, including the following:
- Configure and point your DNS to Google's DNS servers
- Use an Ethernet cable instead of wireless Wifi connectivity
- Put the console into sleep mode during the download period
- Make sure no one else is downloading large files on your home network
- Avoid playing on the net while the download is taking place
By following these simple steps, you can slightly increase the download speed of your console. However, the real reason for slow speeds is due to the way the PS4 is designed to download data from the PlayStation Network.
The flaw is that the PS4 cannot download large amounts of data at once, and PSN literally has to wait for the PS4 to organize the data as it is downloaded. There is a thread in Reddit that explains it very well For those who want to know more.
The good news is that there is a way to really accelerate the download speeds of your PS4, and all you need to do it is to have a PC, a proxy server software and your PS4. Let's do it.
Accelerate PS4 downloads using a proxy server
The key is to configure a proxy server on your PC so that your PS4 can use to download PSN data, which should provide a considerable jump in the download speeds of the PS4. Follow these instructions:
- Download and install CCProxy on your PC: you can opt for the paid version if you wish, but you will only need the free version for this tutorial.
- Open CCProxy and click Stop to stop the proxy (it starts automatically when it opens).
- Click on Options and locate the list of HTTP / RTSP protocols; Change the corresponding IP in the drop-down menu of 0.0.0.0 to your local IP (only another option should be shown).
- Take note of the IP and port number shown by the HTTP list.
- On your PS4, go to Settings> Network> Configure Internet connection and select your preferred connection type, Ethernet or Wi-Fi (make sure it is on the same network as the PC).
- Select Configure manually and select Automatic for all options other than Proxy.
- Enter the IP and port number you noted previously.
- Save your connection settings.
And that's it! Your PS4 should now download PSN games and updates much faster than before, with speeds that reflect what you pay your ISP provider.
The internet connection of your PS4 will only run from the proxy on your PC, so you will have to run the software every time you want to download games or connectyou to the Internet from your PS4.
One solution for this is to use the proxy only when you have large updates or new games to download, and return to automatic configuration for the game in general. Either way, it is a small price to pay for what you get in exchange for greatly improved PS4 download speeds.
If you want to try how your new download speed has improved, why not take a look at our recommendations for the best games for PS4 this year?
. proxy server (t) thread (t) ISP (t) Wi-Fi (t) Google (t) Internet (t) IP (t) RTSP (t) DNS (t) HTTP (t) Xbox One ( t) Xbox (t) console (t) PlayStation Network (t) PS4 (t) PSN (t) Proxy (t) proxy (t) Network (t) network (t) entertainment (t) home-digital (t) games (t) table-of-contents