After making users wait for quite some time, Apple finally launched the ability to make FaceTime calls to the group with its latest updates of iOS 12 and macOS Mojave. With this new capability, users can now make FaceTime group calls to up to 32 people. I also love the implementation of Apple's FaceTime group, as it automatically brings the caller who is talking to the forefront, so you always know who is talking. Apple also allows you to start the FaceTime call group in several ways. In this article, we will see all these methods as we show you how to make a group FaceTime call on iPhone and Mac.
Make FaceTime group calls on iPhone and Mac
As I said, there are several ways to start a group FaceTime call on your iPhone and Mac and we'll see all these methods. First, we will see the steps you can follow on your iPhone to make Group FaceTime calls and then we will go to the Mac.
How to make FaceTime group calls on iPhone and iPad
While using the screenshots taken on an iPhone to show these steps, they will also work the same way on your iPad. So, whether you're using an iPhone or an iPad, you can initiate a group call from FaceTime.
Start the Group FaceTime call using the FaceTime application
Starting a FaceTime group call with the FaceTime application is probably the easiest way to start a FaceTime group call. Using FaceTime, you can start the FaceTime group at once or you can start a FaceTime call first and then add other participants . Here are how these two work:
Start a FaceTime group call
- First, start the FaceTime application and then touch the "+" button to start a FaceTime call . Now, touch the "+" button in the "To:" field to add contacts.
2. Select the contact you want to call by touching their name. Now, touch the ms button again to add another contact and turn it into a group FaceTime call . You can repeat this process until you have added all the participants or reach the limit of 32 callers. Once you have added all the contacts, touch the video button to make the call.
Professional advice: You don't necessarily have to touch the + button in the contact field and select the contacts one by one. You can directly enter the contact's name and select it in the search field.
Start a FaceTime call and invite other members to join
Start your FaceTime call as you normally do. Now, tap on the three point menu . Here, touch the "Add person" button to add more people to your call. Now, select the person you want to add to the call.
Start a FaceTime group call using the Messages application
The message application makes it easy to start a FaceTime group call. In fact, if you always make calls to a fixed group of friends or family, it is easier to initiate that call from your Messages application than the FaceTime application. Here you will know how you can do it:
- Tap the group chat whose members you want to make a group FaceTime call and then tap on the "members" area marked in the image below .
- Now all you need to do is touch the FaceTime video button and start the FaceTime group call.
How to make FaceTime group calls on Mac
Just as you can make FaceTime group calls on an iPhone or iPad, you can use your Mac to make FaceTime group calls. It is similar to how you make calls on your iPhone and here is how it is done:
- Start the FaceTime application on your Mac and then add contacts by searching by name or by adding the phone number or email ID of the contacts . Add up to 32 contacts and then click on the "Video" button to start the call.
That's all you have to do. Unfortunately, there is no way to start a group FaceTime call on Mac using an iMessage group as of now . However, once you make a group FaceTime call, it is saved in your recent call history, allowing you to connect to the entire group without having to go through the above process over and over again.
FaceTime with multiple contacts using Group FaceTime
While Apple has been late for the group video call, its implementation is one of the best I've seen in the business. I really love how a person's video gets bigger when he starts talking, because it helps identify him. It is especially useful when there are many people in the FaceTime call. I hope you find this tutorial easy to follow. If you have any problems, comment below and answer all your questions as soon as possible.